High CPU Usage from microsoft.online.reporting.monitoringagent.startup

After installing the the Windows Updates for July 2018, my Azure AD Connect servers started maxing out their CPU.  Upon looking into it I came across the “microsoft.online.reporting.monitoringagent.startup” process, otherwise known as the “Azure AD Connect Health Sync Monitor” service, eating up nearly all of the machines CPU.

I came across this Microsoft support article that acknowledged the issue and places the blame on the June 2018 .NET updates.  Not 100% true for my situation as I never had issues with the June 2018 updates just the July 2018 updates, but I’ll take it.  It may also be worth noting that I was running version 1.1.654.0 when experiencing this issue.

The solution is to simply update to the most recent version of Azure AD Connect, which in turn will update the problematic Azure AD Connect Health Agent.  This is a pretty simple process but I’ll detail it below quick.

1. Download the most recent Azure AD Connect installer

2. Run the MSI on the machine you have Azure AD Connect installed

 

3. Select the Upgrade option on the Upgrade Azure Active Directory Connect window

 

4. You will see a “Upgrading the synchronization engine” status.  This can take some time.

5. Enter your GLOBAL ADMINISTRATOR Azure AD credentials as prompted

 

6. Input your DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR AD DS credentials as prompted

 

7. On the Ready to configure window select Upgrade

 

8. After some time you will see the following success message.  By default it will start a full sync after the upgrade unless you cleared the check box in the previous step.

Export Licensed Office 365 Users Using PowerShell AzureAD 2.0 Module

I figured it was time to bite the bullet and start converting all of my scripts from using the MSOnline V1 module to the new and shiny AzureAD 2.0 module.  Since I was finding few to no posts on pulling licensed users using the new module out there on the interwebs, I figured I’d share my findings.  You can get the AzureAd module quite easily from the PowerShell gallery by using the command:

Once you have that, you are ready to rock and roll.  The following script will connect to multiple AzureAD tenants, snag all AzureAD users, determine if they have a license assigned to them, and if they do export their UPN to a custom PowerShell object with the property name of Email Address.  I only did this because this is for marketing, and that’s what they wanted (they didn’t want to have to edit the export file at all).  But that’s enough explanation, let’s get to the good stuff.

 

Loosely based off of some of the examples found in this blog post.

Export Licensed User Properties from Multiple Azure AD Tenants

This is a pretty easy one, but it is quite useful.  Usually when I have a need to do this I just need to export FirstName, LastName, and UPN but the properties are really plug and play.  Look up the different properties on the Get-MsolUser Microsoft Doc found here.  This may go without saying, but you could always just run this as a one liner after connecting to your tenant if you don’t have a need for exporting multiple tenants.  I use this mostly for internal stuff, so I want all the users that we manage.  Without further ado: